Say hello to the most delicious turkey burger you’ve ever had! This turkey burger recipe is so delicious and never dry. Enjoy!
Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe
It’s hard to find a juicy turkey burger out there, but have no fear. This juicy recipe is the best turkey burger recipe on the internet.
Throw them right on the grill and serve them with any of these delicious sides and you’ve got yourself a healthy, filling meal.
Don’t skip out on any of the spices, veggies, or toppings for these juicy turkey burgs.
Why you’ll love them!
- 15g protein/serving
- Lower in fat
- Super moist and never dry
- Made on the grill
Turkey Burger Ingredients
Lean Ground Turkey (of course!)
We used 85% / 15% fat ground turkey, which means you’ll have the fat you need to ensure a perfectly juicy turkey burger!
Herbs and Veggies
YES, all these veggies and herbs go right in your turkey burger patty! Everything will be finely chopped or diced to ensure every single delicious bite of your turkey burg packs all these flavors:
- Grated white onion
- Canned green chiles
- Finely diced fresh green pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Turkey Burger Seasoning
- Garlic cloves: You can’t beat the flavor of fresh garlic cloves! We minced ours for this burger to ensure every burger patty got a hint of that delicious garlic flavor.
- Red chili flakes: Red pepper flakes, red chili flakes — regardless what you call yours, this touch of spicy heat will give your burgs such a delicious flavor!
- Garlic powder: Because fresh cloves just aren’t enough, we added a bit of garlic powder to this turkey burger as well!
- Ground cumin: Can’t skip the delicious earthy flavor of ground cumin in these burgers! It pairs perfectly with the garlic and chili flakes.
- Salt and black pepper: Just a touch of each is all you’ll need.
Don’t skip the butter!
This turkey burger recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of cold butter, diced into small chunks. You’ll fold this into the rest of the turkey burger ingredients before making it into patties. As the burgers cook, the butter melts and infuses delicious moisture into the patties.
Lots of other turkey burger recipes call for an egg and/or mayonnaise, but butter is our secret weapon for keeping things nice and moist.
How to Cook the Perfect Turkey Burger
We recommend cooking these turkey burgers at 375ºF on either a gas or charcoal grill as such:
- Start by preheating your grill to 375ºF (medium-high heat).
- Once your grill is preheated, spray a large piece of tin foil with non-stick cooking spray and place the tin foil on the grill grates.
- Then, transfer the burger patties onto the tin foil. Cook each side for about 6-7 minutes with the grill covered. Pro Tip: The cook time will depend on how thick your burgers are, but should be roughly 6-7 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the burgers. Once they have reached an internal temperature of 160ºF, remove the burgers from the grill and let them sit for 5 minutes. Your burgers will continue to finish cooking and reach an internal temperature of 165ºF as they sit (off heat!) during this time.
Turkey Burger Internal Temperature
Make sure to cook your turkey burgers until they’ve reached an internal temperature of 160ºF – 165ºF.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat.
- Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray or wipe with olive oil.
- Place the turkey burger in the pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
Turkey Burger Topping Ideas
We served our burgers on hamburger buns topped with quick pickled onions and an avocado mash, but feel free to get creative and top your turkey burgs with whatever your little heart desires, like:
Turkey Burger Q’s
Ground turkey is lower in fat and high in protein, making it a healthy option for a burger.
You can store turkey burger patties in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an air tight container.
Let the burger patties cool completely before placing them in a freezer safe bag and placing them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To thaw the turkey burgers remove them from the freezer 24 hours before you want to grill them. Then follow the grilling instructions when the turkey patties are completely thawed.
There are around 230 calories in a single turkey burger.
Make this burger part of a complete meal and make one of these delicious side dishes that you can throw right on the grill next to these turkey burgers.
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar white, brown, coconut
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 lb. 85% fat ground turkey
- ½ medium white onion grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tablespoons green chiles
- 1 medium green pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cold butter diced
- 6 burger buns
- 1 large avocado peeled and pitted
- 3 tablespoons canned green chiles
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
First, prepare your quick pickled onions. Place apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, salt, and sugar into a mason jar. Screw the cover on and shake the jar until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
Then, place the sliced onion into the jar. Be sure that all of the onion is covered in vinegar.
Place the lid back on the jar and give it one more shake.
Finally, place the jar in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight for the optimal quick pickled onion!
Next, preheat the grill to 375ºF.
Prepare the burgers and place all of the ingredients for the burgers (minus the buns 😛 ) into a large bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon. Don’t be afraid to get messy and use your hands.
Once all the ingredients are combined, form the burger patties by splitting the turkey burger mixture into 6 balls.
Then, wet your hands with water (the water helps to keep the turkey patty from sticking to your hands) and form each ball of meat into small patties and place them onto a plate.
Finally, spray a large piece of tin foil with non-stick cooking spray and place the tin foil on the grill.*
Transfer the burger patties onto the tin foil. The temperature of the grill should be roughly 375ºF. Cook each side for about 6-7 minutes covered. This will depend on the thickness of your burger.
While the burgers are cooking on the grill, prepare the avocado mash by placing the avocado in a small bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the green chiles, salt, and cilantro to the avocado and mix well.
Once the burgers have reached an internal temperature of 160ºF, remove the burgers from the grill and let them sit for 5 minutes.
Serve the burgers on a bun or piece of lettuce and top with avocado mash and pickled onions.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition information is for JUST the burger and does not include the bun + toppings.
- Stovetop Directions: Make it on the stove by heating a large skillet over medium/high heat. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray or wipe with olive oil. Place the turkey burger in the pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
Calories: 232kcal Carbohydrates: 5g Protein: 15g Fat: 17g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g